Type: Public company; Traded as: NYSE: ESS, S&P 500 component; Industry: Real estate investment trust; Founded: 1971; 52 years ago; Founder: George M. Marcus; Headquarters:
San Mateo, California; Key people: George M. Marcus, Chairman, Angela L. Kleiman, CEO & President; Products: Apartments; Revenue: $1.495 billion (2020); Net income: $568 million (2020); Total assets: $12.936 billion (2020); Total equity: $6.000
billion (2020) History The company was founded in 1971 by billionaire George M. Marcus, who also founded Marcus & Millichap that same year.
Essex Property Trust is a publicly traded real estate investment trust that invests in apartments, primarily on the West Coast of the United States.
[‘”Essex Property Trust, Inc. 2020 Form 10-K Annual Report”. U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
2. ^ “NMHC 50 Largest Apartment Owners”. National Multifamily Housing Council.
3. ^ “NMHC 50 Largest Apartment Managers”. National Multifamily Housing
4. ^ Donato-Weinstein, Nathan (November 14, 2014). “George Marcus, Silicon Valley real estate icon, on founding companies — and the Bay Area housing crisis”. American City Business Journals.
5. ^ “Essex Property Trust, Inc. and BRE Properties
Complete $16.2 Billion Merger” (Press release). Globe Newswire. April 1, 2014.
6. ^ Bennett, Johanna (December 19, 2013). “Essex Property, BRE Shares Slip On Merger”. Barron’s.
7. ^ “Essex Property Set to Join S&P 500; Cliff Natural Resources,
FEI to Join S&P MidCap 400; Fabrinet, Albany Molecular Research to Join S&P SmallCap 600” (Press release). PR Newswire. March 26, 2014.
Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/walter-wilhelm/4065283966/’]