master of the franciscan crucifixes


  • Life The anonymous painter probably trained in Assisi around 1255 – 1265, where he was likely influenced by the Master of Santa Chiara and the Master of Saint Francis who
    painted frescoes in the nave of the lower church of San Francesco.

  • [1] Identification of the artist and his work In 1922, the Swedish art historian Osvald Sirén coined the name for the painter, presumably Umbrian, by attributing common authorship
    of a painted crucifix now in the Treasury of the Basilica of San Francesco in Assisi, two paintings of the same subject in Bologna, and the fragments The Mourning Madonna and The Mourning Saint John now at the National Gallery of Art in Washington

  • The notname is based on a painted crucifix now in the Basilica of San Francesco d’Assisi, which was found to be connected stylistically with two painted crucifixes in Bologna
    and fragments of two paintings in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.

  • The Master of the Franciscan Crucifixes is the notname given to an Italian painter active in the 1260s and 1270s.


Works Cited

[‘Master of the Franciscan Crucifixes at the National Gallery of Art, Washington DC
2. ^ Osvald Sirén, Toskanische Maler im xiii. Jahrhundert (Berlin, 1922), 219 – 225. In proposing the name of Meister der Franziskaner-Kruzifixe, Sirén defined
the figurative culture from which the artist sprang as Umbro-Pisan.
3. ^ Fornari crucifix now in Camerino in the possession of the Cassa di Risparmio di Macerata.
Photo credit:’]