However, to open this type of account in Switzerland, clients must pass a multi-stage clearance procedure and prove to the bank the lawful origins of their assets.
 During the 1910s, bankers from Switzerland created numbered bank accounts to add a layer of anonymity for European clients seeking to avoid paying World War I taxes.
In Switzerland, for example, bankers are outlawed from disclosing whether or not an account is numbered to any governmental agency unless proof of deliberate fraud is established,
not merely the non-reporting of assets in order to avoid taxation.
 Despite the regulations, numbered bank accounts by their very nature are more private than normal bank accounts.
[‘1. “Fancy yourself a numbered Swiss Bank account? Here’s how you can get one”. The Economic Times. October 30, 2013. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
2. ^ Obringer, Lee Ann (June 8, 2011). “How Swiss Bank Accounts Work”. HowStuffWorks. Retrieved May 18,
3. ^ Schütz, Dirk (2000). The Fall of UBS: The Forces that Brought Down Switzerland’s Biggest Bank. Pyramid Media Group. ISBN 9780944188200.
4. ^ Jump up to:a b “Swiss-Privacy.com | Numbered bank account”. www.swiss-privacy.com. Retrieved
May 18, 2018.
5. ^ Enrich, David (January 6, 2018). “A Swiss Banker Helped Americans Dodge Taxes. Was It a Crime?”. The New York Times. Retrieved May 20, 2018. Several hunkered down in Switzerland, which refused to extradite its citizens to the
United States for actions that weren’t illegal in Switzerland. None had actually gone on trial.
6. ^ Jump up to:a b Browning, Lynnley (August 19, 2009). “Under Agreement, UBS to Give Up 4,450 Names”. The New York Times. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
“Numbered Bank Accounts – Series 10 | Investopedia”. Investopedia. November 12, 2014. Retrieved May 18, 2018. A broker dealer, at the request of the customer, may open an account that is simply identified by a number or a symbol, as long as there
is a statement signed by the customer attesting to the ownership of the account.
8. ^ Jump up to:a b c d Koba, Mark (August 20, 2008). “How To Open A Swiss Bank Account”. CNBC. Retrieved May 12, 2018.
9. ^ “Offshore Manual: Swiss Numbered Bank
Account”. www.offshore-manual.com. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sis/159079265/’]