Alpha PGA is industally made by chemical synthesis, using a ring-opening polymerization reaction.
 G-PGA was found to bind and efficiently remove 99.8% of lead ions from water via a suitable low-pressure ultrafiltration technique.
 Water treatment The “PolyGlu” water flocculant, based on a mixture of gamma PGA, calcium sulfate, and calcium carbonate, is used by the International
Organization for Migration to treat water for refugees.
In practical use, alpha PGA is almost universally purely contain the L form, while gamma PGA tends to have a mixture of both.
 Uses Gamma PGA has been used for food, medicine , cosmeceuticals and water treatment.
[‘1. Zhang, Y; Song, W; Lu, Y; Xu, Y; Wang, C; Yu, DG; Kim, I (25 April 2022). “Recent Advances in Poly(α-L-glutamic acid)-Based Nanomaterials for Drug Delivery”. Biomolecules. 12 (5). doi:10.3390/biom12050636. PMID 35625562.
2. ^ Jump up to:a b c
d Li, D; Hou, L; Gao, Y; Tian, Z; Fan, B; Wang, F; Li, S (2 March 2022). “Recent Advances in Microbial Synthesis of Poly-γ-Glutamic Acid: A Review”. Foods (Basel, Switzerland). 11 (5). doi:10.3390/foods11050739. PMID 35267372.
3. ^ https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27286372/
Johnson, Leah C.; Akinmola, Adekunle Titus; Scholz, Carmen (March 2022). “Poly(glutamic acid): From natto to drug delivery systems”. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology. 40: 102292. doi:10.1016/j.bcab.2022.102292.
5. ^ Jang, J; Cho, M; Chun,
JH; Cho, MH; Park, J; Oh, HB; Yoo, CK; Rhie, GE (September 2011). “The poly-γ-D-glutamic acid capsule of Bacillus anthracis enhances lethal toxin activity”. Infection and immunity. 79 (9): 3846–54. doi:10.1128/IAI.01145-10. PMID 21690241.
6. ^ Choi,
Jae-Chul; Uyama, Hiroshi; Sung, Chul-Hoon Lee and Moon-Hee (2015-06-28). “Promotion Effects of Ultra-High Molecular Weight Poly-γ-Glutamic Acid on Wound Healing”. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 25 (6): 941–945. doi:10.4014/jmb.1412.12083.
7. ^ Lee, Na-Ri; Go, Tae-Hun; Lee, Sang-Mee; Jeong, Seong-Yun; Park, Geun-Tae; Hong, Chang-Oh; Son, Hong-Joo (2014-04-21). “In vitro evaluation of new functional properties of poly-γ-glutamic acid produced by Bacillus subtilis D7”.
Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences. 21 (2): 153–158. doi:10.1016/j.sjbs.2013.09.004. ISSN 1319-562X. PMC 3942858. PMID 24600308.
8. ^ Eroglu, I. (March 12, 2022). “Polyglutamic Acid in Skincare, Explained”. Ejollify. Retrieved April 12, 2022.
Bringing Safe Drinking Water to the World
10. ^ C. Li; D.F. Yu; A. Newman; F. Cabral; C. Stephens; N.R. Hunter; L. Milas; S. Wallace (1998). “Complete regression of well-established tumors using a novel water-soluble poly(L-glutamic acid)-paclitaxel
conjugate” (PDF). Cancer Research. 58 (11): 2404–2409. PMID 9622081.
11. ^ Yanagibashi, Tomokazu; Kobayashi, Motoyoshi; Omori, Keisuke (22 August 2019). “Application of Poly-γ-Glutamic Acid Flocculant to Flocculation–Sedimentation Treatment of Ultrafine
Cement Suspension”. Water. 11 (9): 1748. doi:10.3390/w11091748. A food-derived amino acid-based polymer, namely the PGAF (PGα21Ca, Japan Poly-Glu Co., Ltd., Osaka, Japan), was used as the flocculant. Figure 3 shows the appearance of PGα21Ca. PGα21Ca
is a natural polymer consisting of γ-PGA, which is an amino acid obtained from Bacillus subtilis . PGα21Ca is composed of cross-linked γ-PGA with an average molecular weight of 107 and natural minerals such as calcium sulfate and calcium carbonate
12. ^ “UN Migration Agency, Japan Hand Over New Water Purification Facility in Sierra Leone”. International Organization for Migration.
13. ^ Bhattacharyya, D (April 1998). “Novel poly-glutamic acid functionalized microfiltration membranes
for sorption of heavy metals at high capacity”. Journal of Membrane Science. 141 (1): 121–135. doi:10.1016/S0376-7388(97)00301-3.
Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/proflowers/15922772266/’]