Returning to Paris, he was quickly given an appointment as an inspector of public works for the city of Paris, under the architect Pierre-Louis Moreau-Desproux,
whose own time at the French Academy in Rome had predisposed him to the new style.
Jean-François-Thérèse Chalgrin (1739 – 21 January 1811) was a French architect, best known for his design for the Arc de Triomphe, Paris.
Biography His neoclassic orientation was established from his early studies with the prophet of neoclassicism Giovanni Niccolò Servandoni and with the radical classicist Étienne-Louis
Boullée in Paris and through his Prix de Rome sojourn (November 1759 – May 1763) as a pensionnaire of the French Academy in Rome.
 After the Revolution Chalgrin extended the Collège de France and made alterations in the Palais du Luxembourg to suit it to its new use as the seat of the Directoire.
 • 1767–1770: Hôtel de Mademoiselle de Luzy (Paris, rue Férou) • 1774–1780: Additions to the Collège de France (Paris, rue des Écoles ) • finished 1775: Construction of
Claude Nicolas Ledoux’s designs for dwellings at Versailles for Madame du Barry and the comtesse de Provence • 1777–1780: Restoration of the façade and rebuilding the north tower of Saint-Sulpice (Paris) • ?
 In 1775 he was appointed First Architect to the comte de Provence, brother of Louis XVI; he designed the pavilion of the comtesse de Provence at Versailles.
?–1780: Music pavilion for the comtesse de Provence (Versailles, 111 avenue de Paris) • 1774–1784: Église Saint-Philippe-du-Roule (Paris) • finished 1785: Pavilion and jardin
à l’anglaise “Parc Balbi” (Versailles, destroyed 1798) • 1799–1805: Works at Palais du Luxembourg, the grand staircase and the “Salon des Messagers d’État” (Paris) • 1806–1811; completed after Chalgrin’s death, in 1836: Arc de Triomphe, Place
de l’Étoile (Paris) • finished 1807: Restoration of the Théâtre de l’Odéon, Paris (burned 1818)
In this official capacity he oversaw the construction of Ange-Jacques Gabriel’s Hôtel Saint-Florentin in the rue Saint-Florentin, where Chalgrin was able to design the neoclassical
gateway to the cour d’honneur.
 Towards the end of the French Revolution in 1798 Chalgrin threw up the buildings for the first Exposition des produits de l’industrie française, with an extremely
[‘o “Jean-François Chalgrin Architecte français 1739-1811” (in French). Art Nouveau.
o ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h “Chalgrin, Jean-François”. France Guide.
o ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h “Jean-François-Thérèse Chalgrin”. Structurae.
o ^ Jump
up to:a b c d e f g h “Jean-François Chalgrin”. Architectenweb. Archived from the original on 2014-10-17.
o ^ Chandler, Arthur (1990), “L’Exposition publique des produits de l’industrie française Paris, 1798”, World’s Fair, X (1), retrieved 2017-10-12
fr:Hôtel de Langeac
• Svend Eriksen, Early Neo-Classicism in France (London: Faber & Faber), 1974. Chalgrin’s biography p 163.
Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rhockens/2996573407/’]